According to EnergyStar these five tips will help to reduce the amount of energy your refrigerator uses:
- set the appropriate temperature. keep your refrigerator at 35 to 38 degrees Fahrenheit.
- place your fridge in a cool place. position your refrigerator away from a heat source such as an oven, a dishwasher, or direct sunlight from a window.
- allow air circulation behind the fridge. leave a few inches between the wall and the refrigerator, and keep the condenser coils clean if you ave an older model. read the users manual to learn how to safely clean coils. coil cleaning brushes can be purchased at most hardware stores.
- check the door seals. make sure the refrigerator seals around the door are airtight. if not, replace them.
- keep the door closed. minimize the amount of time the refrigerator door is open